The two hemispheres of the brain work differently, which is proved by the neuropsychology. The left hemisphere is responsible for the logical and linguistic side of mental operations, while the right one is responsible for their integrity, emotion and imagery. This functional asymmetry of the human body is manifested in various forms of behavior. Different behaviors might belong to the respective left or right type of thinking.
You can perform several exercises and find out reactions of which type dominate for you. Take a pen and paper. After performing the task, mark what kind of reaction you have just experienced – a left one or a right one.
Place your hands in front of yourself and intertwine your fingers. Which of the two thumbs is on top – the left one or the right one? If it is the right thumb, then your reactions are of the right type, so you should note the letter ‘R’. If your left thumb is on top, your reactions are of the left type. Mark this with the letter ‘L’.
Stand still with your eyes open. Place your index fingers in front of you, as if you are taking aim at a target. Fix the point at which you are “to shoot” (without closing your eyes). Now close one eye, then the other. If in one of the two cases the aiming point moves to the closed right eye, this means you have the right type of reactions. If the aiming point moves to the closed left eye, your reactions are of the left type.
With your arms folded in front of your chest, see which of your hands is on top – the left one or the right one. Note the result.
Clap your hands for some time. See which hand is on top. Note the result.
After completing these tasks, you can define (certainly, with some approximation) your type of brain asymmetry. The first task enables you to specify the general nature of your psychological resources – whether logical or emotional.
The second task provides information on features, such as your strength and aggressiveness. The third task allows you to judge your aptitude to posturing and coquetry. The fourth task focuses on character features, such as determination or indecision.
According to the results of the tests, here are the types of reactions described.
- R R R R – Inclination to common stereotypes. A conservative type of character with the most stable (regular) behavior.
- R R R L – Uncertain conservatism, weak temperament. A typical feature is indecisiveness.
- R R L R – Tendency to coquetry, determination, sense of humor, activeness, being energetic and artistic. To communicate with this type of people, humor and determination are needed, since such a strong character does not accept weak character types.
- R R L L – A rare and private type of character. Showmanship and coquetry. Such people have a sense of humor. A feeling of softness and artistry is experienced while communicating with them.
- R L R R – The business type of character combining an analytical mind and softness. Commonly encountered in women. This is the conventional type of a business woman. Slow ability for adjustment. Such people rarely get involved in direct conflicts. Prudence, tolerance, delays in the development of relations, as well as certain coldness and reserve, are the prevailing features.
- R L R L – The weakest type of character. It occurs very rarely. Helplessness and weakness are related. Susceptible to various influences. It occurs mostly in women.
- R L L R – A tendency to new experiences and ability to avoid conflicts. Particular softness in relationships, inconsistency. For such characters emotional slowness and gloominess in relationships are inherent. An active and leading role in communication.
- R L L L – independent and unstable type of character – the main feature is the ability to analyse. This type of character occurs rather rarely.
- L R R R – A common type of character, with a very good adaptation to different conditions. It communicates easily with various types of characters. Susceptible to foreign influence. The main feature is emotionality, combined with insufficient persistence primarily occurring upon major events (marriage, education, etc.). In men emotionality is reduced, and there is a tendency to stolidity.
- L R R L – Low persistence combined with softness, malleability, naivety. It requires an especially careful attitude to oneself.
- L R L R – The strongest type of character, difficult to convict. Willing to show persistence but sometimes there are problems in the pursuit of some secondary objectives. Severe individuality. It has the energy and ability to overcome difficulties. Other people’s views are not respected. These people do not like infantilism. They are conservative.
- L R L L – A strong but unobtrusive character, hard to persuade. The key feature is the inner aggressiveness concealed with external softness and emotionality. Fast interaction but slow mutual understanding.
- L L R R – Friendliness and simplicity, somehow ‘scattered’ interests.
- L L R L – The key features: gullibility, softness and credulity. This type of character is very rarely to occur.
- L L L R – Emotionality, combined with determination, are the main features. Vigorousness and certain incoherence leading to the fact that such characters, under the influence of their emotions, tend to decisions that are quickly accepted and thoughtless. To communicate with them additional mechanisms of detention are needed.
- L L L L – This type of character has the ability to look at things in a new way (innovation), has greater emotionality, individuality, selfishness, stubbornness (stubborn), safety turning into reticence. It easily fascinates the others with their smile.
Little encyclopedia of psychological tests – Publisher HOMOFUTURUS